View Single Post
Old 2007-03-03, 5:45pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisydog7 View Post
I just got last month's electric bill and yikes! It was $363. It is much higher than normal and I have just started using my Skutt GM10F alot. Does anyone know what it costs to run a kiln per hour? Does the Skutt GM10F use alot more electricity than other kilns? Thanks for any info. Pam
I seriously doubt your kiln is responsible for that. Calculating kiln operating cost is simple. Multiple the voltage times the amperage to calculate the wattage - then multiply the wattage times the price per kilowatt hour you're charged (it should show on your power bill).

The Skutt GM10F is 110v 15amp so it's 1800 watts. I don't know what you pay for electricity, but my cost is $.068/kwhr. That would make the calculation for cost:

1.8 kilowatt x .068 = $ .1224/hr.

That's what it costs to run your kiln full on at top heat. In most uses, your kiln isn't on full time but switches off and on, so is rarely going to cost more then 6 or 7 cents per hour. Unless you're electricity costs are the highest on earth, running that kiln even 12 hours each day costa less than $1 each day.

I'd look for some other reason your electricity bill is so high.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan