View Single Post
Old 2022-05-18, 4:52pm
Sam I Am

My new studio will have a 5x5 ft table in the center of the back half of the room. The actual hood will be 4-6 inches smaller because the way my torches are attached to the table the tip if the torch is 6 inches deeper on the table.
My " working numbers" are 4.5ft by 4.5 ft = 20.25 sq ft. Multiple that by 125 and you get 2531.25 CFM. That a lot of air moving. I've got about a 16ft from the center of the hood to the back wall where the exhaust will go. Looks like 1 bend. Using round 10 inch galvanized tubing for the exhaust.
The intake will be 2 fold. 1st my dream intake air coming up through the middle of the table 12 inch pvc in the foundation. This take advantage if some geothermal temperature control . Deep in the foundation the temps don't get as hot or cold. The outside air will have to travel through the tube. It will be sucked in the table top & out through the hood. This means less conditioned air being suck out if the room. Notice I said LESS ,there will still he some loss of conditioned air when your exhausting so much. I am going to also go with the HVAC guys suggestion and have a secondary intake that will use a fan to pull in air just above the hood level. There are some crazy new codes about intake air & I want to pass any code inspections. It's not adding significant cost & I don't have to use it all the time. His numbers came out to 1900CFM. That acceptable because my current hood has a 3000cfm fan for a 2x larger hood & it works very well. We ran lots of tests on the old hood with torches running.

If your following along on the math my fan is smaller than Mike's tutorial. Once you reach 2000 & above CFM your clearing a room every minute or so. I'm sure someone will chime in that it's not enough or too much.
Don't care I actually know what I'm doing by experience.
I'm offering an example of what works for me.
It's also a working plan not installed yet.

Also pre-planning to O2 lines & propane. They will be in Pvc sleeves in the foundation. Plan is to use a braided metal flexable line pulled through the sleeves. The braided metal hoses are like a whip line. I've used short ones for years.. again plans can change we may go copper inside Pvc for the O2. Yes tanked O2...what can I say I'm spoiled. Propane will of course be outside.

So far it's all a plan. The foundation fill is mostly done the plumber is next ,then inspection before its poured.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.