View Single Post
Old 2010-10-14, 9:22am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
I have a question/comment about the part regarding 'Not discussing' the information. I would say that putting the information in an online 'discussion' is different than a verbal 'discussion'. An online discussion can be open to anyone as long as the post exists. It acts like its own tutorial. If I wrote a tutorial I would feel differently about those two types of discussions. Do you think that is what they could mean? Or maybe some tutorial writers could clarify how they feel?

PatientHand, Thank you for the clarification on your position which I think it totally reasonable.
I think this is completely reasonable to ask buyers not to discuss the contents of a tut online when it's something really unique and proprietary. Where I have an issue with it is when someone asks a question about using a particular glass or achieving a particular look that is something many people have come up with on their own, sometimes even before the tutorial author began lampworking, and someone in the thread automatically refers the questioner to the tut. There's a definite sense that it would be gauche for anyone to answer the question after that, and also I think a bit of fear that they will be accused of "not supporting the community" or of depriving the tut author of income, if they answer the question. I feel like this is wrong, and that people who worked out a look or technique on their own, independently, should feel free to answer questions about it if they want to, even if someone else wrote a tut on a similar look or technique. I don't mean it's OK to reverse-engineer someone's design and then telling everyone how to do it, just to be clear. More like, if someone wrote a tut on faceting, would it then be wrong for Andrea (who taught me and has been faceting for ages) or for me, or any of the people who have been faceting beads for a long time, to answer questions about faceting? I certainly don't think so. Yet, there has come to be a bit of a sense that whoever writes a tutorial on a particular subject or technique then "owns" the right to field all questions on that subject. That is neither right nor fair to the lampworking community and all of us within it who have spent decades learning and sharing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kalera; 2010-10-14 at 9:28am.