View Single Post
Old 2005-07-11, 5:59pm

Default Weird Propane (BBQ tank) question

Ok, so tonight I was torching...outside & it started to rain (figures!) & I of course tried to get under the porch overhang, failed & so shut down the tank--or tried to....my torch would NOT burn off the gas in the line--to the point I thought the tank valve was defective....I got a rubber glove (dish-type) & tried that for a better grip, still no luck...finally figured I'd just have to turn off the torch, drag the whole mess out into the pouring rain & disconnect it (which I was trying to avoid, as my desk is pressed particle board under the metal top--didn't really want it soaked!) & leave the tank out there to drain itself empty far far far away from the house!--but called my sister while the torch was still lit (no sparks) to whine about the defective valve (since it's a brand new tank, only used for one previous torch session, i'm the first owner, etc & I bought it from her store!)....so we're chatting for about 20 minutes & suddenly "pop", the torch goes OUT....
how much propane is IN a 5' bulk hose anyway??? Last time I torched it seems it took less than 5 minutes for the hoses to clear--this time I had "full flame" for over 10 minutes & then "dwindling" flame for easily another 5-10 minutes before the torch went out...
Could it be because it was in the mid/high 80's today & the tank was hit by some sun? or do I really need to return it for a different tank?
I'm NOT looking for opinions on propane vs. mapp, OR the hazards of bulk hoses--I'm in the backyard--I just want to know if the foolish TANK is defective!
~~Lyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies