View Single Post
Old 2019-04-10, 8:12am

First things- eye protection and ventilation. If you know you'll be going to boro, you'll need other glasses too. It's not a cheap thing to do. BUT you can start with a Hothead torch* and a fiber blanket as long as you don't make anything big or for sale. It doesn't anneal anything and only cools glass slower than air. I'm not familiar with a fuse works craft kiln but if you can anneal properly, you can batch anneal. Batch annealing won't fix thermal cracks, incompatibility or anything else but if a bead is sound to begin with (and the kiln can indeed anneal properly) you can use it. Lots of people batch anneal soft glass beads.

*not to devolve into a Devardi melee (which happens just about every time they are mentioned...some people like them, some people really don't) but I haven't heard good things about their torch, Fireworks torch either. They do have serviceable tools, I've owned a few. My opinion on their glass is negative but that's only MY opinion and I won't argue it.

Having said that, you can start cheap-ish to see if you really want to do glass and upgrade as you go along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.