View Single Post
Old 2011-04-06, 5:52pm
Naysayer

Default Etching Trouble, It devits and is Shiney?

Ok not a newb to etching but I've never run across this before.

I got an order for raku etched beads. I know raku sometimes doesn't etch well but I've never had an issue.

This is really weird though and want to know if anyone ran across this before. I use etchall dip 'n etch, I poured the solution in a container and it had 'crystals', so I added some broken beads and shook the crap out of it...still there so I just put the beads in.
Ok so they come out and parts aren't etched, it's shiney but sort of matte (if that makes sense? not shiney like it orginally was but yeah shiney lol).
I put them back in and the etch bath wouldn't come off parts well at all, I had to rub it off with a toothbrush? And once it did and I dried them I noticed under those parts the beads are shiney and have pretty major pitting..not holes but sort of 'chewed' I guess I would put it, not sure if i can get a good pic of how bad it is.

I've made tons of these before, I had them in the solution for 10 mins each time.

Bad solution? I'm not sure on it's age as I bought it 'new' off etsy, but I've used it previous to today without problems. The other bottles I have last for what seems like years.