View Single Post
Old 2013-06-08, 6:17am
Gentleman of Leisure

Be aware, shipping containers are steel walls and ceilings.... It takes serious work to cut in "man doors" or windows or ceiling openings for fans or sky lights...Also difficult to attach things to walls unless you drill holes through walls and use bolts or lag screws from outside...... Best to look into any modification you think you many want and see what costs are before you purchase.... There are sales yards that will modify container to your specification but each modification comes at a cost... Might want want to actually contact local yard and see what they do or what can be done before you give it too much thought...

There is also the issue with heat and cool meaning a plain steel container may need at least additional ventilation to keep condensation to a minimum...

Also you my want to consider adding insulation in studio area as plain steel walls will be cold in winter and hot in summer...

I have been looking into a container for a metal working (blacksmith) shop so my comments come from a tiny bit of research and awareness of what I have found... Any way there is some things to think about, but basically they make a really solid structure, they are heavy and it take serious equipment to move and place them and the location has to be level and prepped for container as if its not level its a major project to get it level.... Also it may be a issue with local zoning codes whether you can even place container on your property....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-06-08 at 6:26am.