View Single Post
Old 2010-09-12, 5:53pm
WildBird Beads

Default My Contribution to reviews

Because I wish I had someplace to read reviews before purchase...
Remember, I have only been working with glass for about 6 years and currently for the last year, really enjoy just making buttons, these tutorials are from late 2008 to spring of 2010. I probably have more but they were on my laptop that died one day and I have not been able to access them since.

Laurie Donette – I love all of Lauries tutorials.

Candice King-Palgut Christmas ornament tutorial
This was the tutorial of Kings. It was huge and covered sooo much. I have tried time and time again but this tut is for those who have mastered the glass tube. I… unfortunately have not. )-: For this kind of glass work, I really need some one-on-one time with an instructor.

Amy Trescott’s Rainbow Petal tutorial
Excellent tutorial with clear illustrations and instructions for applying colors. Wish there would have been some more color combinations to try included.
And I successfully created this bead the first time I tried, although it was a little wonky.

Mary Lockwood Sculptural Birds tutorial
Excellent tutorial with clear instructions and I was able to really make these birds! This is one of my favorites.

Kimberly Affleck – Encased Florals
This is a very good tutorial for those who are trying to learn how to encase florals.

Cynthia Tilker – Keeper of the Thicket
Excellent illustrations of close-up views and steps. I haven’t tried to make a face yet, but when I do, this tutorial will be the one I choose to practice with.

Kerri Fuhr
Tapestry Scrollwork tutorial
Excellent tutorial with excellent illustrations of exact movements and application of stringer. I just think I must drink too much coffee and have not been able to reproduce anything close.
Dragonfly tutorial – Same good quality tutorial, and I might not have been able to make the dragonfly exactly like Kerri’s but I did use the techniques with other winged designs and really enjoyed it.

Marilyn Peraza Making a Rose Murrini tutorial
It’s tough to say if it was just me or the tutorial, but I really struggled with this one. The illustrations did not show too many closeup views as well as the rest of the process. My first try produced a huge amount of glass and very few petals. My next try was a little better but nothing close to the pictures.

Amy Kinsch - Taking Reduction Glass by Storm
I didn’t have a lot of success with this technique. There could have been several reasons for this. But in my opinion only, I think with so many different types of silvered glass and inconsistency in production batches, amoung other things, this would have to be one of the hardest tutorials to try and create. I think my problem is that when one uses an oxygen generator with silver glasses, you just never know what you’re going to get, kinda like a ”‘box of chocolates”.
Anouk Jasperse - Making Silver Glass Sing.
There just wasn’t enough information in this tutorial and the illustrations were hard to see clearly what was happening and more illustrations were needed.

Jo Rebeka - Button Maker Mandrel System
I don’t have anything bad to say about this tut, I just didn’t have the time to try the tutorial so I didn’t even try the technique.

Last edited by WildBird; 2010-09-14 at 6:58pm. Reason: correction