View Single Post
Old 2012-11-10, 8:47pm

Kalera, good questions, mostly equally mysterious to me. One thing though, is that I'm taken aback when people publish tutorials with a proprietary air, as though they are selling you a secret, when anyone who reads widely, or has been making beads a long time, sees no great mystery. Hence, Rebecca said it best:

What do you do when a tutorial comes out that teaches a technique you know someone else has been practicing for a long time, and has previously published their method elsewhere? Is it poor form to mention it?
Hmmm. That can bite and I know that from personal experience. It seems to be poor form for the person who taught/published the technique to mention it but not for someone else to do so.

On at least three occasions I have seen tutorials for sale that "reveal" things I have written about in books or magazines. I don't feel like something I "owned" was stolen, but rather like there is more than one way to skin a cat, there are a lot of recipes out there for meatloaf, that doesn't mean one cook book stole from another. BUT I resent the misrepresentation by the author of a tute that I think hoodwinks the buyer. If you knew the meatloaf recipe was in many sources, you might shop a little harder! So I guess it's a mixture of over selling by the author claiming the proprietary right of ownership in the idea, and buyer beware!

Whew, sorry to be long winded. I too like the trend toward technique instruction. Jeri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.