View Single Post
Old 2009-07-11, 8:36am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschooltofu View Post
so i got my filling station in today, my tank is empty and i hooked everything up to fill it all weekend so i have a full tank on monday morning.

well first off....there is no instruction manual.
second off they sent me a jenky plastic hose to connect the concentrator to the filling station that leaked when i soap tested it. so now im starting to get pissed that i spend a lot of money on a piece of equipment and they send me shotty hose and fittings.

so luckly i found a green hose with proper b fittings and hook it up. let everything run for a little while and the yellow light comes on saying O2 too low.

so i soap test all my fittings again and check that everything is running properly. I even try hooking up my huricane and still no luck. then i hooked the concentrator (that came with the filling station) to my torch, and could not get a good flame, kept blowing out the flame. like it as mostly air and not enough oxygen.

so it keeps saying O2 below normal.

does anyone know the problem here?
did i get a bad one?
My 281 K tank is empty, can the filling station fill a tank from empty?

im quite pissed i cant fill my tank this weekend.
OK, here is the issue with your system. The compressor is indicating low oxygen purity. The compressor is really just a converted Homefill II medical compressor (you should look at the posted system I pieced together using the Homefill II on the Homemade Equipment thread, including a schematic and cost), and this compressor tests the purity of the incoming oxygen. If the purity is less than 90%, you get the message and the compresor does not work.

The solution is to get a new oxycon or get new zeolite cartridges for the oxycon such that your purity exceeds 90%.

On my system, I initially had the same problem using devilbiss machines, so I used Invacare Plantium oxycons, which solved the problem. I then upgraded the zeolite on the devlibiss machines and that also solved the problem.

Try turning the output volume on your oxycon to a lower level and let it run for 1/2 hour before turning the compressor on...this is what invacare recommends for their Homefills. Then after the compressor starts filling your tank (after 3 minutes from turning it on), you can incrementally increase the LPMs to get to an acceptable tank fill time.

As an FYI, when I first set my system up, it took over 47 hours for a tank fill,so i don't see how they can advertise the EX to fill a K in 24-36 hours. I had to add a 2nd compressor to get the fill times to the 21 hour range.

In anycase, try letting the oxycon run for 1/2 hour to normalize the O2 purity, then turn the compressor on, and please report back on your progress.

Also, feel free to email me if you have other Qs.

Last edited by metalbone; 2009-07-11 at 8:44am.