View Single Post
Old 2011-08-09, 3:46pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByCher View Post
Yes, I know that's the way it works. It's just that tutorial cost can really add up. I'm not saying that $25 or so for a professional looking tutorial is too much, especially a lampwork tut, I don't think it is. But everything is such a secret, I never know what to expect. Sometimes I try to ask questions and am told "buy it and see". What if, due to arthritis or something like that, I am physically unable to make the bead. Or what if certain materials are too costly for me and I don't know that until I see the tutorial? I've got a lot of tutorials that I won't be able to even try until I can afford more expensive glass. Or, or, well you get my point.
I personally wouldn't buy a tutorial if I didn't know beforehand what materials/glass I would need or if I could physically do the technique/make the bead. I've purchased a couple of tutorials that weren't really my style. I just felt that if I made at least one bead from the tutorial and sold it, then I've paid for and justified my tutorial purchase. But if someone told me "buy it and see", I think I'd pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByCher View Post
Some of the tutorials I've purchased were a complete rip-off, but I purchased them because of professional courtesy. You know when two people happen to be using the same technique, learned from different sources, but one just happens to write a tut for it? People are so touchy I feel like I can't sell an item using that technique without being bashed.

Wasted money. More profit for the tutorial writer. And just to clarify, I'm not referring to anybody here on LE, not even unintentionally. Just sayin'.
First off, you should feel comfortable selling anything made from a tutorial. Second, It looks like you could to be a bit choosier on your purchases. A good example is the free tutorial section full of information on non proprietary styles and techniques, that are also in the tutorials for purchase section. In some cases there are at least three tutorials for purchase covering a bead style that is also fully covered in the free section. Of course I have no idea what tutorials you've purchased but there is a ton of free information out there and really, there's nothing like discovering something all on your own too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.