View Single Post
Old 2017-02-11, 11:33pm
Phill

This is something I would jump on in a heart beat!!!!!

There really are only a few things that make a kiln and none of them go bad unless it has been rained on and then frozen while wet.

Everything that can go bad could also go bad 30 days out the box when brand new and it is all repairable other than the brick and even then they can be shipped back for repairs.

Take your time warming it up after long storage by bring it up to 225 degrees f and leave it on for ten hours to drive any dampness out of the brick then take it up to your working temperature by, say, 200 degrees an hour. Nice and slow.

This will dry out any possible moisture.

Then give it several coats of kiln wash on the floor and on both sides of any shelving. That will keep any melted glass from imbedding into the pores of the kiln brick should the unthinkable happen and the relay get stuck on and melt everything into a puddle.

I got mine from someone that rarely used hers and although it was 4 years old it might as well have been brand new out of the box. It was, in fact still in the box because that was how she stored it when she wasn't using it.

ETA: That is same one I have btw.

I did put a wooden handle on the bead flap. I carved mine but a dowel with a 1/4 inch hole in one end and two holes for screws through the side is not hard to do yourself.

Go with longer mandrels and don't poke your mandrels into the heating element because it is wired straight into the wall outlet and can knock you on your butt in no uncertain terms.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2017-02-11 at 11:39pm.