Thread: Clean propane?
View Single Post
Old 2010-03-21, 5:06pm

Default Dirty Propane

I spent several months in Mexico last year with my portable studio which includes a Minor torch and oxy concentrator. I had similar problems with propane down there and had to completely avoid some types of glass as it always came out dirty. I started with an new empty tank and my Spanish was not good enough to explain that the tank had to be purged when it was first filled. The first tank was so bad I took it outside and let all the gas bleed out and then refilled it. The second tank was better but still not what I was used to in the states. I think not purging the tank may have been part of the problem. I have also been told that the component that is added to Propane to give it it's odor is a bit heavier and tends to concentrate in the bottom of the tank after several refills and this may alter how clean it burns. I don't know if this is correct ...but Propane is fairly inexpensive and you might consider emptying your tank and having it purged at the refill station. Cheers, Ernie Wagner