View Single Post
Old 2011-12-04, 9:53am

Melodie,
I am pretty sure the liquid Etch-all from B&B is faster than the paste version... certainly provides an easier and less streaky etch. I expect it would also be easier to remove the residue. Once I discovered the liquid, I stopped using the cream entirely. I have a few jars I've kept.... thinking they would be good for spot etching, but haven't done that yet.

As for how water might influence the etch... not sure. After warming beads in hot water, I quickly blot off water with paper towels and dip them in the liquid. I string my beads on stretch cord so I can suspend them across the container (I use Tupperware type container) to more easily agitate in liquid and to move a batch of similar beads through the process.

I haven't seen any instructions regarding heat making the process faster.. I was just reasoning that since most etching techniques with metal, as well as the pickling process, are speeded up with heat, this would be as well. Since I don't want to heat the etching liquid, I heat the beads before placing them in the liquid. I also etch enameled copper with the same etching liquid and I don't bother with the heating step. Works fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.