View Single Post
Old 2008-04-07, 3:51pm

Default Forget about sealed...

I can appreciate your concern regarding the fumes and the safety of your children for sure.

You do NOT want the room sealed. Actually, drafty is kinda good for you here. Think of your ventilation system as a process. Sure the cfm your fan is pushing and smart ducting is important. Just as important, in my opinion, is allowing it to have something to push. Your fan is going to create negative pressure in the room and it needs clean air moving into the room to allow it to work efficiently.

I want to say I've read here, or elsewhere, some recommendations for both passive and active intake sizes based on your exhaust cfm/duct size and shape and so on.

What you can do is run your exhaust and use the incense or some other visible method, outside the room, and check that air is being pulled into the room. You want negative pressure in the room but you don't want to restrict your exhaust too much. Does that make sense?

Due to the childrens safety which I totally understand, I'd err on the side of caution and maybe run a bit more negative pressure, (less intake into the room) than I would otherwise. Just make sure you're still moving plenty of the bad stuff out for your own sake.