Thread: Frosty Tutorial
View Single Post
Old 2008-12-01, 7:52pm
Hole Challenged

Instructions for creating Frosty’s hat.

I took a shortcut and am only showing the head of the Frosty instead of the whole thing.

1. After making the head and body add a smaller bead above the head for the hat. The more distance you leave between the head and hat the larger hat bead you will need to create. Once you do a couple you’ll be able to judge better how large of a hat bead to make. If you make one too large it will go too far down on the head so it’s better to error on the side of too small.

2. Heat the hat bead until transparent then tilt the mandrel so the molten glass starts moving toward the head bead. Keep turning the mandrel at all times. When it reaches the head bead focus the heat to the joint. You don’t want the head bead to get too hot to where it moves so don’t overdo this step. You will have a pointed end at the top of the hat but that’s exactly what you want.

3. Marver the hat into a cone.

4. At this point I would add the eyes if they are to be poked. I then added a small bead over the pointed end to make the puff ball. If you lose the definition of this smaller bead use a sharp edge to get it back. I also used a ribbon cane to make the brim of the hat. For those that don't know - a ribbon cane is simply a glob of hot glass mashed flat and then pulled like a stringer.

5. The final step would be to poke dimples in the puff ball and to add the ridges to the brim. I add ridges by barely heating the flat cane and then indent it with the knife. Don’t heat the cane too much! Just a splash of heat is all it takes.

Hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.