View Single Post
Old 2012-05-07, 6:48pm

Default Thanks for the tips

I am still a green newbie. I am having trouble with my mandrels now.

I was going along quite well and now the release is cracking on the mandrels before any heat touches them.

I shake the release really well before I add the mandrels, like I did when I started. Was working fine. Now that the weather has changed I am having a bunch of trouble with cracking and flaking. Today I lost several beads and glass.

I did see where I might have caused or made the problem worse because I washed the mandrels and dried only with a towel and then dipped.

Some of the mandrels are new and some are old. I did clean the new mandrels to removed oils and such and dried them, but still having cracking and flaking.

I am using the Bucket O Mud that I got with my hot head. Getting frustrated. I will need to purchase some more mud soon, now scared to buy it.

I saw somewhere about prepping the mandrels. I should wash them in soapy water and then scuff them with pad and then let them dry over night?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Don't have much time to devote to the glass and I hate it when I can't make anything or get half way through something and the release cracks and I lose the glass. UGHhhhh
Thank you in advance.
Cher