Thread: Ask Mikey
View Single Post
Old 2014-03-31, 1:25pm

Default Coral, a creature of many Colors.

Quote:
Why is it so difficult to repeat colors like Apricot 591419 and the corals?
Below is a list of Coral colors from the past 5 years:

Firecrack Red Coral
Heatwave Orange Coral
Coral La Mesa
Coral Martian Strata
Coral Pure Pumpkin Orange
Coral Persimmon
Coral Paprika
Coral Poppy
Coral Peach Persimmon
Coral Sunburst
Coral Sunny Mango
Coral Tequila Sunrise
Coral Pumpkin
Coral Tomato
Coral Striped Coral
Coral Mango
Coral Dusty Rose
Coral Cinnamon
Coral Dark Cinnamon

So this question of "WHY" is coral in so many tonalities of colors is a good question to ask.

Each time Effetre makes a coral they use the same ingredients and the same methods, but the colors vary from production to production.

I have been told in Germany, (joking I think) that the tonality of a color has to do with the phases of the moon.

Another joker said it had to do with how much wine the glass batcher had drank, but I know that is not true.

Slight variations of the minerals used, or could it be the temperature of the glass, but nobody has a good answer except one that is: "WYSIWYG"

I remember the first batch of coral we ever got, and I think was the finest batch ever, but at that time we were not making beads. And I used all of that production for fused glass products

The same goes for 591419 Apricot. A while back we got some Apricot and it was not what we were used to. I was told that if I was willing to order 300 kg of Apricot they would do a new production. They made a new production, and the color is nice, but not the same as I had wished, but lovely just the same.

So where I might have 400 pounds of a coral, and do not need to order any more coral, I still will order 100 kg if it is of a new production just to see if just maybe we can add another coral with another coral name, and if I like, I reserve more.

Mike Frantz

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206