Thread: FLASHBACK
View Single Post
Old 2008-12-18, 2:35pm

Thanks for your response, Chris. The quick-connects I bought are the QDB-10's. I looked at your website and also googled safe-mate quick connects you mentioned, which got me to Western's web page. Looks like the safe-mate quick-connects are the QDB-10 thru 30 and have internal reverse-flow check valves rather than flash-back arrestors (I didn't find the latter combo anywhere on Western's webpage, at any rate). The ones you show on your website look like the QDB series, also. Is that your understanding? Based on the info that Jes sent me, perhaps the check-valve is sufficient and it's not necessary to have a true flashback in a quick-connect, at least if one is mounting it at the torch. True??

Cadia - I agree, this can be confusing. Since it appears that oxycons don't store the 02, perhaps that's why nothing is needed for them for personal safety reasons? Maybe a check-valve is sufficient for either added personal safety or investment protection? Maybe a flashback-arrestor is overkill, but if you bought already and can get enough flow to your torch, you're fine to use it?

I'm no expert in this! I hope the more knowledgeable chime in, and I certainly welcome the input.

Linda