View Single Post
Old 2015-10-15, 8:54pm
too many rods in the fire

I converted my downstairs bedroom into my studio. It's very doable.

I have TWO Bluebird kilns running, and two torches set up. Ventilation is definitely key, but there are all kinds of ways if you can't cut into the walls (my DH cut a small hole in the wall to run the hose from my propane into the room - the propane sits outside the room in the backyard in a wooden box. He cut a second, slightly larger hole in the wall to run ventilation.

But if you can't do that, you can do what I used to do before my DH hooked me up, lol. Take the screen off the window, run the hose out the window for your propane, having the propane tank outside, and get a good CFM squirrel cage fan and build a small platform for it just outside the window. Hook that up to 6" or 8" ducting and build a piece of wood that fits into the inside frame of the window and has a hole cut for the ducting. I would open the window, put the piece of plywood in, hook the ducting into it to vent out and connect to the fan, and then leave the bedroom door open as well, to get your make up air flow. You can also add a box fan in the doorway to increase the make up air.

You really don't want to just depend on wearing a mask as the fumes and off-gassing from the glass will not stay just inside your room, and it's a safety hazard for everyone in the house. There's a ton of great info here in the safety room as well, with a huge range of information and ideas on how to safely get yourself set up. It can be done on a budget, but safety is key.

Wish I had a picture of my old set up, but it's pretty easy to do - I did it by myself easily.

Welcome to the addiction!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.