View Single Post
Old 2014-06-07, 11:51pm

Question Electroforming salmon and grainy??

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to do some electroforming for a couple weeks now and I just can't get it right. And it looks so easy in all the videos and tutorials: just dip your piece in the solution, turn on the power and you're golden!

I've read most of the threads and tried different ideas, but I'm getting the exact same result. It's said that if you get salmon color your current is too low and if it's getting grainy it's too high.. what if the copper layer comes out SALMON COLOR AND GRAINY??
I keep getting these grainy bits all over that just rub right off.

I'm using a voltcraft rectifier (that's what I got with my kit) and even though it has two knobs I can't control the current, only the voltage. The current seems to depend on how much solution in how big of a container and how much anode is in the solution.
My solution requires the voltage to be 0.5 to 0.9, my rectifier doesn't go lower than 0.6, and that's where I have it set.
I got 1l of acid copper solution. If I put it in a long container, I can't get the current over 0.06 amp. If I put in a 1l beaker I can only get the current to be around 0.15 amp
My piece is only 2cm sq at most! The anodes are 4-5 cm sq each (I have two in)
So right now, after 12h in a 1l beaker of acid copper with copper anodes at 0.6V and 0.12amp I get this:

Any ideas? Maybe I should use even bigger anodes?

Thanks!