View Single Post
Old 2013-05-18, 2:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsand View Post
So you gather and round all the glass that is going to be in the maria and flatten it at once? I'll have to try that approach again. I've gotten into the habit of softening the glass at the end of the rod, then flattening it so the edges squish out, reheat, and repeat until the maria is big enough and then reheat the whole thing to get rid of any marks before applying color. It seems just as likely to get off center when bringing a large molten gather to the marver and pushing down on it, and I wonder how you avoid having the glass ballooning out from the middle very thick? I guess that's where the paddling around the edge step comes in.
No paddling and after the initial marble is formed it is all done in one move on a graphite plate. Gravity is all thats needed to keep this perfectly centered. This setup of a perfectly centered and evenly heated disk is critical to an on center implosion and if you paddle unevenly or make multiple moves to flatten the disk you will mess up the heat base. I mastered this first before moving on to actual implosions. This works for me everytime but use whatever method makes sense to you.

Last edited by LarryC; 2013-05-18 at 2:25pm.