View Single Post
Old 2017-07-11, 2:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswrd View Post
It is sad that the tone of this thread is so hostile especially to newcomers to this forum, and especially so because the tutorial section is probably one of the main areas visitors to this site would head for first.

The rage and unrestrained want of town-square justice (despite a few moderating voices) is not healthy. Singling out one notable yet unnamed individual this way is lynching, those egging and cheering make it worse. There is no justification for that in any discussion forum. This is venomous bullying. Why can't the victims of plagiarism simply post a complaint in the offending tutorial thread and stake a prior claim, without rage or abusive language?

OP in particular comes across as having allowed anger to cloud over reasons, forget laws and courts, ignore anything that does not comply with her own moral framework, that is not cool, that is the birth of mob justice.

The subject is only related to tutorials, but the thread contains no tutorial. It is about ethics and thus belongs elsewhere.

And before anyone says "how dare a newbie with a few posts dare challenge this", please remember that post count does not represent anything beyond just that and only that.

Perhaps it is time to move this thread elsewhere and tone down the anger please. Bullying is never right or warranted.
And yet you add to the comments with your own judgments and criticisms of others because it doesn't comply with your opinion or position? So that makes it okay for you and not for anyone else?
  • Those who feel they are victims of plagiarism do not simply post a complaint in the offending tutorial thread and stake a prior claim for fear of exactly what is happening here.

Sadly yes there is that mob mentality as there can be with certain topics, but there is also that underlying feeling that many artists in the community have felt for a long time but afraid to say out loud. Questioning whether what this particular artist (and perhaps others) is doing, is really okay or not. But afraid to speak out for fear of being judged or called a lynch mod.

Example: We had another artist in the community for a while who was scamming those in the community who have generous kind hearts, those who were not aware of her ways. Since I first joined the community in 2004 this artist was playing the victim card with her sad hard luck stories which seemed to happen all too often. A lot of artists would actually send her money, tools and supplies after feeling sorry for her.

I recall my first impressions of her (me being a newbie) which was "Wow! she sure has a lot of bad crap happen in her life" I mean, it was continuous non relenting. My first thought was, "she's either really stupid or really unlucky." After a few months the red flags started going off for me. A few months turned into a few years of constant hard luck stories. But I said nothing. Eventually I heard that people had been sending her money and tools and glass etc out of pity and she would then sometimes turn around and sell the tools for money.

It worked for her and if something works why quit? Twelve years later she was still doing it. Over the the years when anyone would question or challenge the truth of her stories or make constructive suggestions, people who felt sorry for her would defend her. She would cry bullying and her defenders would call everyone a lynch mob. It wasn't like she wasn't told privately, it wasn't like she wasn't told quietly. She was told, she was warned.

She would pout stomp her foot and disappear for a while, run out of money and come back into the community and start playing her little game again, catching newcomers with her her hard luck stories and get them to defend her anytime she was challenged. Finally the community had enough and stood up and spoke out against her loudly, basically outing her. And yet there were still those unknowing persons who called the community bullies and accused the community of having a mob mentality out to lynch her and accused us of being an angry group of artist.

Well sure, it certainly looked that way to those who didn't know what she was really up to. But what it really was, was the community standing up for each other and saying enough is enough. She could have stayed away or left quietly but she didn't. We could have also continued to sit back and say nothing and let her continue.

No one really ever wants to out anyone openly. But when someone has been warned or others have suggested or hinted, this is not okay and yet they keep coming back, there is a point when the community will stand up and agree with each other that this is putting a bad taste in their mouth, that this is morally not okay. You may see it as a lynch mob or bullying but others may see it from another point of view.

To each his own to decide which way they choose to see it.

Have I been unreasonably harsh at times? Sure.

Decide for yourself, educate yourself. Buy the tutorials you want, support whomever you want. Hate on me if you want, I don't care. My original post was not to condemn anyone buying tutorials (even though my frustration got the best of me and it came out that way, and for that I apologize), just as I would not condemn anyone who fell or falls for a scammer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.