View Single Post
Old 2015-02-12, 3:25am
Naysayer

Dang I hadn't thought of Fleet Farm for graphite! I will remember that. I paid 6 for 2 oz on ebay lol, free ship but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkyquartz View Post
Use lacquer on organic items...the entire item needs to be sealed and dried. Do this before the conductive paint. I have soaked small cones in a lacquer/thinner mix...problem is they are still there...5 years later. Go figure!! On the leads to the rectifier...just remember red to positive/anode, black to negative/cathode. Attach with alligator clips or other clamps that are metal.
One other thing, the aquarium pump is to move the solution around, not to heat the solution. If you are living in a cold environment, try putting your container of solution on a medical heating pad or heating type tray (I have an old Salton tray). Heating pad would be my choice. NOT, and I repeat, NOT on a hotplate unless you are using glass as a container. Plastic would melt and you would end up in a 'pretty pickle'. Safety first and have fun. It is a great process...one I do not use nearly enough!!!
It was an aquarium heater. I have seen the pump in kits, just not the heater until the other night. Still have to get some things, but it is so cold that I have to bundle up where I torch/make things so I think I will get a heating pad

For the laquer, I bought water based, does it matter? I was just reading and it said 'plastic lacquer', now I'm afraid I will have to go back and return it. I've been sick so I thought I could sit and paint some things I've saved forever.

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2015-02-12 at 3:28am.