View Single Post
Old 2012-11-12, 12:01am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendbill View Post
I think we lost a lot of free exchange of information and techniques and "how to" once paid tutorials became the norm. I'm not trying begrudge anyone's ability to make a living when I say that, but shortly after the tutorial market "exploded" for want of a better word, if someone in the Tips and Techniques sections asked how to do something, and someone had a tutorial, then they were directed to the newly released tutorial rather than someone explaining the basic steps.

I bought a number of "how to" books when I first started, and of course they dramatically shortened alot of my learning curve in a number of areas. However I did note, when the information was in a printed version only people didn't have such an issue with reading, and then sharing the how to for a technique - after all - didn't we buy the book to learn?.

Suddenly information was "proprietory", and .some (reasonably) straight forward techniques suddenly felt liked they were “owned” by the tutorial author. I already knew how to do it, and now I can't share it?
Your reply really speaks to me on a number of levels, not least of which is the issue of propriatorship. I might need to spend a couple more days thinking about this in order to even respond in a way that won't be too abrasive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.