View Single Post
Old 2010-01-02, 5:45am

My best suggestion is to make test beads, small beads combining the glasses you want to use together before putting a lot of work into your beads.

Glass making is an art and compatibility issues arise when something is different in the making of the glass. It can be anything from a change in suppliers for colorants or exposure to a different environment than normal, or simply not precisely measuring the ingredients in the glass. Many glass manufacturers carefully test for compatibility before releasing their glass or sale, and others don't, so the best protection for you is to test yourself.

I wanted to add something about the cracking issue. If you case a bead you've made, incompatibility cracks can show up looking like thermal cracks. For instance, if you use glass A as the base bead and glass B to case, if there is incompatibility between the two, B will sometimes crack in a straight line to relieve the stress.

Nobody said working with glass was easy - lol!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.