View Single Post
Old 2010-01-02, 4:13pm
Lover of all things color

My cracking is always along the mandrel vertically. And usually after I have cleaned the beads and they are laying out drying, sometimes the next day.

I can only assume that I'm just hot getting them hot enough before I put them in the kiln. I am very conscience of this issue and always try to give them a good soaking but sometimes it happens.

I clean my beads with a dremel and sometimes wonder if this causes the little stresses to start to form. I suppose it's better that they do this now rather than after they are sold but it's still frustrating to spend that much time on a bead and loose it.

When I first started I used the fiber blanket to cool and then did a batch anneal in my large fusing kiln. I found that I could do this with small to medium sized beads but the larger more complex ones just didn't survive the blanket cooling.

Here's what I did until I got the bead kiln. I had my fusing kiln running and the kevlar gloves handy, when I finished a bead I would put the gloves on and take the bead over to the fusing kiln, carefully lift the lid and drop the bead in on a fiber blanket to soak until I was done, at which time I started the program. Since you have a fusing kiln you might want to consider this if the kiln is close enough. Mine was about ten feet away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con