View Single Post
Old 2015-03-03, 5:48pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
We did offer some of these packs of short glass, we had about 10 or 12 of them for sale, they weighed around 14 pounds each and we sold them for $20 plus shipping.

Because Frantz mailorder discounts glass and for a long time has provided free shipping, we can not afford to bring common colors to trade shows and provide any discounts. So what I will do is pick the newest colors which you may not be able to find anyplace else but Frantz Art Glass. I will also look for some small lots of rare colors that have not been for sell for a long time.

Unlike a beadmaker selling their beads at Bead & Button who only need a few tables and will carry their beads in a suitcase, we have the problem of shipping 1,500 of glass to a show at $.85 per pound and then being charged $.85 for the show company to move my glass from the back dock to my booth. With the expense of a show as high as $10,000, it makes it hard to justify doing trade shows.

Mike
I'd much rather see odd lots and rare glass in very small quantities. I think you could get back with packing less, and making as much for greatly in demand. A Funhouse table. Another thing I'd like to see at trade shows would be, for instance, removing the 1/4lb limit that you have in the Funhouse for some things.

Ultimately though, again, this is hypothetical of what I'd like to see because I would still do what I could to support my LGS, which indirectly supports Frantz. If her glass sales drop, then the classes aren't enough to support the business. If the classes go away, I'd have to fly or drive ten hours to attend any classes.

(PS: Thank you for not putting the new Messy in the Funhouse btw. Frankly, I detest new glass being automatically shoved into that role. I don't usually buy more than a couple pounds at a time of any one color, but the 1/4lb limit drives me batty when it's brand new)

I certainly can sympathize with that. It's quite a mission to undertake. I am in Louisiana and we are going on an Alaskan cruise this summer. We were taking a few days to debate whether or not taking the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver just to visit your warehouse. I'd absolutely love to see what a significantly major glass distributor looks like. I have seen Glass Sorbet, Blue Moon Glass and Kittrell Glass (all in Texas) but nothing like what I'm imagining your facility to look like.

Have you thought about having Frantz days again? I think they were a thing before I came along and before you got sick.

Last edited by SGA; 2015-03-03 at 5:51pm.