View Single Post
Old 2012-05-03, 8:03am
Puddy Cat Lover

Default Controlled Devitrification Experiment

Well, you've heard of petrified wood, right? Here are some "devitrified" flowers.

I was very disappointed with this new glass that I purchased. I thought it would be just a really nice dark pink, but turned out to be very similar to EDP. (Effetre Purple) Making murrini flowers the way I do was so frustrating because the scummy bubbles were always there even when I encased them. So I decided not to encase them and just let them sit on top of the bead. This is what happened when I cooled the bead and then re-introduced it to the upper part of the flame. I got a pretty white devitrified halo that is the shape of the flower murrini. The beads in this picture are annealed. The halo stayed pretty prominent on the surface even after annealing. It looks like it's been etched. If you run your finger across the flower, it even feels like it has been etched. I'm kinda liking this effect. But I'm going to do some more experimenting.

Does anyone else have an example of controlled devitrification?

J.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.