View Single Post
Old 2013-11-04, 11:28am

Default Cracking with XL size focals and Sunburst Coral

Has anyone been having and cracking issues with large focals and Sunburst Coral? I have been having my larger size focals split right down the middle in several designs. The common thing is the coral.

I checked with Glasshive and my annealing cycle is correct.

I called Frantz to see if anyone else had reported problems, but I am the first one to have them. Attached are other photos of breakage. Some are a good deep split down the center and others are teeny hairline cracks that are barely visible.

All of the raku and other glasses are 104 so compatibility shouldn't be an issue. I have been making a point to keep all areas warm and re-heating all over after adding each element.

Ultra fine barely visible surface crack.

Thin surface crack.

Deep split all the way through the bead. Possibly from too many surface changes with shaping, texturing and distressing the glass.

Deep split all the way through the bead. Possibly from too many surface changes with shaping, texturing and distressing the glass. Possible cooling issues with each added element.

Has anyone else had these problems?

xo Genea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Genea Crivello
"Enlightened Art for the Awakened Soul"