View Single Post
Old 2010-02-08, 2:49pm

Candice, Ryan T has a tutorial available. Check out the tutorial section under Cane, Millie and Murrini. I have made many butterfly murrini. A couple of things I have learned is that using yellow in a butterfly will sometimes cause an incompatibility problem. 5 out of 6 butterflies I have made had stress cracks in them. I avoid that color no because it doesn't happen until it is encased in the clear and by that time you have put all the work into it and find out you can't use it. (Heartbreaking) The other thing I do is to make sure I have enough clear around the outside of the murrini. When I apply it to the bead it gives me some room to gently pull off the outer edge of the glass. It tends to be scummy and I don't like to leave that on the bead. The more clear you have around the butterfly the better chances you have not to distort your butterfly. Robert shows good examples of the clear. By the way Robert, nice work! You are correct, it takes me 3 days of various pulls to make my butterfly, then the slicing and polishing to get a final product. Well worth it when it is all said and done and it looks good.

Lynn