View Single Post
Old 2011-05-04, 10:00am
I speak Murrini!

I know this thread is a bit older, but I thought I'd resurrect it because now I have more questions!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I didn't want to bother starting a NEW thread since some of my questions are ALMOST answered here and I know LE'ers get CRAZY with multiple threads asking similar questions, so I hope it's OK with Candace to camp mine on here too!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So here's the deal...I'm trying, yes TRYING, to make some Butterfly Murrini that succeed! Of course, I stress the word TRYING since I'm somewhat limited by torch and such, but I've not let that entirely stop me in the past, so I persevere! Nevertheless, with my first close-to-successful attempt, I see some integral problems

For starters, I put too much clear down and actually ON the area where the body should go where the two sides are intended to be brought together...argh! (Thumping myself on the noggin!) As you can see also my "wing" shapes are rather boring and too roundish, so I probably should have "triangulated" them considerably more so it would look less like a, well, hot dog!

In addition, although I used clear in several of the "segments" of the wings (I was inspired by the Glasswing Butterfly and was trying to achieve a little of that "see through" quality) I still used ORANGE - yes, the dreaded orange of splintering, cracking fame - to go all the way around the wings. So...............does that instantly signal doom? I KNOW yellow - especially "Mustard" - can mean the demise of your murrini dependent on not only the age of the batch used (Jodie seems to feel the older batched stuff is more stable) but how much you use of it in the overall design as well.

I had someone kindly PM me and let me know that they've taken both Loren I and II; apparently he STRESSES the dangers of using orange when making butterfly murrini (though I've seen Ryan do it successfully numerous times) and I'm wondering if I should even bother trying to finish these up?

I'll admit I'm determined to SOME DAY make a successful Butterfly Murrini, but have to say that right now with the "half" sections I've just completed, I'm feeling pretty down-trodden and depressed.

Any advice you guys can offer would be sincerely appreciated!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro