Thread: Lead in Glass
View Single Post
Old 2007-09-07, 10:19pm
as in the state

I don't know much about the lead content with Satake, but I do know that if you heat it too much, you can boil it, and it will release probably more toxic fumes than if you were to just melt it.

The Japanese torches don't burn as hot as our torches (they are propane/air rather than propane/oxygen) so the risk of boiling them is much lower using one of these torches. Also, people use it on a HH all the time, and I haven't heard of much problem with that. I know with a MiniCC it's very difficult to keep from boiling the lead glass of Satake.

Very very small amounts of Satake soda lime will work with their leaded glass. For instance, we used soda lime yellow for our stamen cane, with all the rest lead colors for the lily murrini we made in the Akihiro class at the Glasshive. I guess that's similar to using a little bit of Reichenbach (96) with Moretti (104). It will work, you just have to watch proportions. Also, if you look at the Tonbodama book, they use soda lime glasses with lead glasses, I'm guessing in keeping with the theory that a little bit will work, a lot...well....not so much.

I feel like I'm just babbling now, so I'll shut up and go to bed. =)

-Amy