View Single Post
Old 2011-05-05, 2:04pm
Who me?

Default Amerigas Frickin Frack - Rant

Okay so I've had Amerigas for my home heating, cooking and hot water since 1997. Was so sure I'd keep them that I had them bury the ugly 500 gallon/pound tank in the yard so I wouldn't have to look at it.

For the past 6 years, they have also been filling a 200 gallon/pound tank that they own for my torch. My studio is located in a garage converted into a room the same level as the rest of the house. Hose is run through the window with quick disconnects at the torch.

Last week, I called them to fill the 200 pound tank and they came when I wasn't home. They left a note saying the tank was being used illegally and put a lock plug on the tank. So, I call, ask the to install iaw code and they come out and tell me there is no way they can do it. I explain that folks have propane piped to houses all over the country for lampworking and quoted Dale's statement that NFPA says that the limit for propane to a dwelling is 10 psi. They (one of the largest propane providers in the country) tell me that they can't help. They will not even offer any solution to my needs. So they picked up the 200 pound tank and hauled it away. I'm on BBQ tanks now.

Long story short, I contact a smaller propane provider (Parkers) and the man comes out and says he can make it happen. I showed him DeAnne's thread and Dale's drawing and he talked to the city and the fire department and we are on for them to install me correctly - no charge except for the propane.

While I'm at it I ask the price of their lock-in rate for propane and it's almost a dollar per gallon less than I'm paying with Amerigas. So, I'm having them dig up the old 500 pound tank and install their tank and fill it with cheaper propane.

I call up Amerigas to see what settling up my bill will be. I own them a whopping $147 minus the refund I will get when they pay me for what is in the tank, plus $75 for them to siphon the tank. The tank is half full so they should own me money.

They call me back wanting to know what they can do to keep my business. Politely, I tell them they could have been more serious about getting me correctly hooked up to the torch.

I just got a call from Parkers. They heard through the grapevine that Amerigas has called the city and the fire department, claiming that what they are going to do for me is illegal. So, Monday morning, the new company and all their technicians, safety folks, maybe the city inspectors and the fire department will be here to ensure that I am up to code and safe. Life doesn't get any better.

Oh, and to keep Amerigas, from cheating me, I have taken a dated photo of the gage on the tank showing half full and I have put a laminated sign on the tank stating no deliveries so they won't try to fill the tank and make things difficult. That and a padlock on the tank cover ought to keep folks honest.

Whew, done with rant. It feels good to be getting legal and safe. Thanks, Dale and DeAnne.