View Single Post
Old 2006-05-26, 7:59pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Glass_Bash
Ok are there different colors of raku and do they all do different colors?? I have some orange iris raku and it's done nothing like you guys have gotten. I tried super heating and quick cooling without much luck so far.
so A) the colors it is when it cools in the blanket before kilning is the color it's going to stay right? It won't suddenly look neat after annealing it?
B) HH just can't do what needs to be done to get those colors??
C) Will the marver be cool enough (it's not the brass one) to do the "cooling" to get the colors..

I think that covers it all. Sorry if I sound really thick that after reading all this I am asking those questions.
Hi Arlene,
Don't apologize for asking questions. That's the way we all learn.

Yes, Raku is the Iris Orange. In rod and frit form it varies in color from light brown to brownish red. But it all produces the same effects in the flame.

I think your main problem is that you're on a HotHead. Not that I have any personal experience with them, but I've heard that you can't get the full range of colors from raku when using a HotHead.

As far as batch annealing goes, the colors will be the same as they were when you cooled them in your fiber blanket. It takes a rapid change from hot to cold to make the colors pop. The temperatures used to anneal will not change the color.

And as far as chilling the beads, I've used a graphite marver, a brass tool, and a little stainless spatula to marver and chill the beads and they all produce the same results.

So I hate to say it, but you may not be able to get those blues and purples using a HotHead. But the raku can make some really nice browns that are very appealing too. Especially in "Fall" colored bead sets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator