View Single Post
Old 2010-01-08, 11:13am

I can actually feel the scratches when I run my nail over the suface. It is a groove and not raised on the surface. I use a plastic bowl to soak them in and then dremel out the center, moving them to another plastic bowl of water and then lay them on a towel to dry.

It may be my kiln floor. It is fiber and gets a lot of use. I sometimes jab the floor with the tool I use to place the full mandrel inside the kiln. I will try putting something on the floor and yes, I have been weary of cleaning it because I don't want to ruin it. Maybe I am putting them in too hot and they are getting scratched by the floor as I put them down. They do roll around slightly as I add additional mandrels and I fill it up pretty good sometimes. The part I can't figure out is that this is a new problem. I have been making beads for over two years in this kiln and have since gone back and looked at previous beads and none have scratches.

Is there a small device I can get for sandblasting or do I go to a shop that already has one? My dad used to have one when he had an auto repair shop but that is gone now.

Thanks for all the input. I still haven't gone back out to the torch since I first brought this up because my whole house came down with bronchitis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FireLilyGlass; 2010-01-08 at 11:13am. Reason: grammar