View Single Post
Old 2005-10-06, 8:26am

I'll jump in on the 96 COE's...

Pi Glass
New lampworking glass line. They seem to be a "glass blowing" glass company that have lampworking too. The colors are cool, fun names (like the light blue is "Baby Boy" and the Bright Red is "Translvania". It melts easy and smooth, though some of the transparent yellows and oranges bubble easily...Color line is new and I assume, still building. What they have already is very pretty. (Available at PiGlass.com)

Uroboros
A bit stiff to work with. The opaques aren't totally opaque, they have a translucent quality about them, which is pretty. The color line is still building and is pretty strong in the Blues, Greens, Whites, a good black...they need a good pink. This glass is compatible with the Gaffer, Riechenbach, and Zimmerman frits and Riechenbach intense stringer and Pi Glass. It is not compatible (though some have been successful with using it with, Gaffer Cane.) (Available at bridgetownglass.com, jodelglass.com, Arrowsprings.com...maybe more, but all I know about right now)

Gaffer Cane
Handpulled cane made in the US by artisan glass blower/pullers. It is veiled causing a wispy, streaky look that is very pretty. It is made with a lot of clear layered with Gaffer frit. This is a unique glass and is priced as such...$44.00 a pound. I find it worth every penny. Val Cox was the visionary behind this, and she sells it at valcox.com. You can also find it at ggglass.com. My understanding, from reading about it, Caliente glass is similar in this category too. You would have to look into that one more on your own...Calienteglass.com. That one comes from Canada, so for you Canadians, a "local glass"!

Gaffer
This is a New Zealand company that makes glass for Glass Blowers. Because of this the colors are very intense, and not all of them work well in a lampworking application. But when they do work, they work fabulously! Pretty colors. They really can open up your current pallet. They are compatible with 96 COE glasses, and can be used in small quantities 5%-10% of the bead with Moretti (104 COE) and Bullseye (90 COE)...though there is debate on whether that makes them compatible or not. Gaffer is a true 96 COE.

Reichenbach
Another Glass blowing frit, but they also jumped in with the Lampworkers and pulled us cane too! So you can get intense stringer cane (usually the size of a thin rod of Moretti) from them, and it is just like the frits, as far as compatibility...The COE ranges from 92-96, I believe...

Zimmerman
Another Brand of the Glass Blowing Frit. The COE also ranges a bit. Still compatible in the same was as the other two Glass Blowing frits.

Frit companies Abound! Val Cox started the "boutique frit company" at ValCox.com, where she also sells the intense stringer from Reichenbach. I know I'll leave someone out but here goes at listing all the "boutique style" frit companies:
Sprialdanceglass.com
Glassdiversions.com
GGGlass.com
KayKelly.com
They all have their own flair and unique blends. GGGlass also sells the Reichenbach cane.

Olympic Color Rods (glasscolor.com) is a major supplier of frits and Reichenbach cane. You need to buy a pretty significant quantity of the frits, so unless you know you really like a color you may want to go to the boutiques instead. The Reichenbach Cane is sold in "normal" quantities...But you don't want "Rods" from them, since they are about 1 foot long and 1 1/2 " thick...it is for glass blowing, but you can smash it for big frit pieces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Daughter and Husband Wrote a book.

The Car Catch-all...the most useful non-lampworking item ever!