View Single Post
Old 2011-12-05, 8:53am
Surrounded by Trouble

You are very welcome LizzyDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette McFadden View Post
Thanks so much Shawn T for all the info & the pics are wonderful. You've given me so much inspiration & ideas for different beads. One thing I'm confused about is the RAKU. Can you get the colours to come out with the rod or is it only the frit? I've never seen anything written about RAKU rods. Also, is the frit 104 coe or another coe? Canyou get the colours from Boro frit too? I,too wpold like to know about mosaic green glass. Who makes it & is it 104 coe & is it transparent or opaque. I't a beautiful green. I hope you can help & thanks so much for all the info etc. Love you for sharing.

Annette,
When you use the RAKU you sure can use the rods and pull them into stringers to make lines, dots, scroll work on any beads. It won't work so well to make the beads I have pictured above as they are swirled with frit colors, unless you crush the rods into frit. You can use 104 RAKU but I have always used 96 coe with my 104. Just remember to use very little and you will be fine mixing the two of them. Try RAKU with a brown 104 base, it makes it easy to for the colors to pop, and I always have really good luck with brown especially 444 as a base.
One more thing, I have better luck with regular RAKU not the Dark RAKU.

If you need or want suggestions with boro frit, please let me know, as I now work mostly in boro.

As for the Mosaic Green I used an Opaque color, although they did make a Mosaic Green in Transparent also. I wrote these tips and tricks back in 2004, and really should go back and fix my typo's
It looks like it might only available in transparent now, I will look at other vendors and see if I can find it in opaque.

Glad they have inspired you and I will always answer any questions anyone has on them.
Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.