View Single Post
Old 2012-09-04, 9:25pm

Default Baking Soda Beads on opaque glass- consistency?

Hello everyone!

I am trying to figure this out and seem to be at a loss. I am trying to achieve a perfect pitted stone texture on opaque glass every time, but it seems like sometimes it's hit or miss.

Here is a photo of some of the things I have gotten.

The desired look is the first photo with the amazing pics on Dark ivory glass. I believe I just heated the glass, rolled it in baking soda, decorated the rest of the bead and came back, reheated the glass and the pits came out wonderfully. It seemed like you get them from making sure the glass is nice and hot when you add the baking soda, letting it cool a bit until almost too cold and then gently re-heating it. The second bead seems to happen if you super heat the glass and add multiple layers of baking soda to it. It seems like the glass absorbs it and turns it into a crackle which is cool, but I want TEXTURE! The last was a text to see if I could get a cool looking crackle like pottery.

So my question is, does ANYONE know how to get consistency in this wonderful pitting texture??

Here is another image of my bead with the perfect effect.

I do this by heating the area to slightly molten, roll in baking soda, heat off baking soda, let cool, gently re-heat, repeat until desired texture, anneal. Then soak in hot water, etch, and scrub with a soapy tooth brush.

Can anyone else help me figure this out?

xo Genea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Genea Crivello
"Enlightened Art for the Awakened Soul"