View Single Post
Old 2010-02-05, 10:12am

Default Reds in Psyche by Double Helix?

Greetings!

I am still pretty new at all this. Started working with glass last summer, but have had to kinda taper things back quite a bit, as my initial enthusiastic leap into lampworking left me with a touch of tendinitis. I also don't get as much opportunity to sit at the torch with this winter's temps, as my workspace isn't heated, and I can't run the kiln and a space heater at the same time. So I try and get out to the work space whenever I can to play.

Anyway, enough of all that. My recent fixation is on the silvered glass from Double Helix. I currently have about 1/4 pound of most of the available colors from DH, just to test and see what I can do and which I like the best. I am most curious about the Psyche. The "swatch" I have seen everywhere showed a deep purple-red with some blue wafting through it. However, whenever I reduce the Psyche, I get blue, green, and teals. I also get the brown webbing when I put through an oxidizing flame. I can not seem to get any type of red or purple tone from anything I am doing. Is there something specific I should be doing to get red/purple tones? Or is the swatch I keep seeing maybe the Psyche over a base color?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've enjoyed lurking and learning from some very talented folks on the boards. Thought was time to start participating.