View Single Post
Old 2020-10-14, 4:30pm
Phill

This is a copy of what I replied to your other post of the same question;

I have had no trouble at all using my yellow and green hose these last 12 years or more.

Propane and natural gas are distilled from the same oil well gases so hoses made for one are OK for the other.

Propane will cause hoses made for acetylene to breakdown and get gummy and disintegrate from the inside out.
Clogs up the torch which get expensive to have the manufacturer cleanout and eventually will leak out the sides of the hose.

Natural gas is lighter than air so it's OK for use in basements but propane is heavier than air and will pool in low places like basements.
That is until the pool of propane finds the pilot light on furnace or water heaters then it can ignite in an explosive way.
Someone here disagrees with me a lot as to whether this is a real danger so I simply suggest you ask your insurance company if they will pay for any damages or if they will use just having more than a pound of propane stored in your house as an excuse to deny any claim at all, even for unrelated problems like like a water pipe flooding a bathroom, if they can prove having propane inside is a violation of your contract.
But that is off the topic at hand.

To be on the very safest footing, legally, I recommend getting a long length of bar-b-que tanks hose marked "Type T" on it along with barbed connectors and hose clamps.
Use a short length of hose where you have to have flexibility but use "black pipe" and bendable metal hose and shut off valves like those at the back of a stove to get the natural gas close to your torch bench.