View Single Post
Old 2010-03-29, 7:53am
I speak Murrini!

and hugs to Melissa, Dave and everyone who has had a loss.

Dave - you're wonderful to try and help Melissa out so much. I think when you mention "...keep a round rod of some sort to keep reaming the hole, to prevent it from collapsing..." I figure you meant a "tungsten" or other metal rod or pick, right? Brass works well too, such as those made by Maria Richmond, Whimzacalities on LE. If whatever you are using is filed into a point, as well, this is helpful. I recommend though that you use it "outside" of the flame; direct flame can cause the glass to stick a bit and that causes a who lotta other difficulties. In addition, there are the "Bail Biters" that are sold often in the Bead Classifieds here on LE. You might want to post a "Wanted..." in Garage Sale; someone may have a pair you can pick up at a pretty fair price.

Melissa, darlin' - so sorry for your loss and you've had a tough few years. I know that in time you'll find confidence to give this a try...just be patient with yourself and it will come.

I understand your hesitation...it is part of the reason I wrote this tutorial in the first place. I think no matter how long it's been since the passing of your beloved family member/pet, the FIRST TIME you try this it feels a bit strange as you simply don't know what to expect. But you just might be surprised to discover not only the peaceful remembrance I hope you'll experience when you do try, but the joy you'll have at your accomplishment and pride you'll feel when you wear your finished work.

Wishing you all peace...
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro