View Single Post
Old 2012-04-23, 4:42pm

You need to keep yourself in the dark. I'm always in the dark, so if I can do it, anyone can.

You need to control your light so that it falls on your shiny surface but not on anything you don't want to show up. You can do it like Deb said and back off. I've done that using a 200mm zoom so I could zoom in on the part I wanted. I'd rather control the light if I can but you will need light that you can control with barn doors, gobos, black cardboard, black cloth or something to block where the light is going except where you want it too. If you are going to use a light tent, you want the hole where your lens looks through to be as small as you can make it. That will be less dark area show up in the image against the white. What I much prefer to do is use a completely dark room and not use a light tent but just light the object. This way it stands out a whole lot more.
This lily is sitting on a mirror in a dark room with black cloth behind and over it and just the flower lit:

It really works to isolate your object.

Mike