View Single Post
Old 2010-10-12, 4:33pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoon View Post
Amber, I do understand business, having owned a few, but it really doesn't matter what the creator of any product thinks it is worth. The market--the buyer--sets the price ultimately. Every author puts in incredible hours to create their book, ebook, or whatever. With books it can be months or years! So the time it takes to write a tutorial is really nominal. Writing a tutorial is an opportunity to get paid for what you are and would be doing, anyway. Nice work if you can get it, for sure!

I have an issue with this assumption. Yes, a tut writer is a bead maker, but not all bead makers can put together a quality tut. The glass product they produce for sale is a small part of the publication process. They don't just make a production bead and photograph the end result. They must break it down in steps, photographing each one, sometimes several times. Then they have to put the steps in a clear written form, going over it from a beginners perspective and rewriting as necessary. Then comes layout, not only being mindful of esthetic's, and content, but ease of transmissibility. On top of that, they are making their own original product loose value in future sales.

So this lucky bead maker that has mastered a particular glass technique they are willing to share now must also add skills to be a photographer, writer and self publisher. These are not part of their daily torch routine.

I do not publish my own tuts. I have no reason to take the comment personally. However, I feel that the artists taking the time to do this extra work should not be thought of as simply "doing what they would normally do" and getting paid extra. They worked for it and earned it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau