View Single Post
Old 2008-12-27, 11:11pm
Don't dis The Cheese

[quote=MoltenMuse;2281556]As this includes the specific word "sell" ... "any useful article embodying that design" - I'm 99.9% certain this would cover the concern about "I bought a tutorial, therefore I should own the design"

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

Quote:

§ 1309. Infringement

(e) Infringing Article Defined. — As used in this section, an “infringing article” is any article the design of which has been copied from a design protected under this chapter, without the consent of the owner of the protected design. An infringing article is not an illustration or picture of a protected design in an advertisement, book, periodical, newspaper, photograph, broadcast, motion picture, or similar medium. A design shall not be deemed to have been copied from a protected design if it is original and not substantially similar in appearance to a protected design.

(g) Reproduction for Teaching or Analysis. — It is not an infringement of the exclusive rights of a design owner for a person to reproduce the design in a useful article or in any other form solely for the purpose of teaching, analyzing, or evaluating the appearance, concepts, or techniques embodied in the design, or the function of the useful article embodying the design.

(note: nowhere in the last paragraph does it say "offering a copy of the design for sale")
Again, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. It appears from what I'm reading that the last paragraph covers someone else- besides the design owner reproducing the design for teaching purposes.

LIsa

It takes a lot more "faith" to believe that man did all of this all by himself than it does to believe that he had help.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not. ~Andre Gide