View Single Post
Old 2008-12-28, 12:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asil4 View Post
I guess I don't see folks asking tutorial writers to abandon their copyright in order to sell the tutorial. What I've seen is a request that if the author has a problem with it, be upfront about it. The way I see the law- the author, by teaching the specifics of how to duplicate a specific bead gives permission to duplicate that design- in order to even complete the tutorial.
No, you may not see it that way. However, that's the premise of the request since the copyright exists if they don't give express permission. Therefore, giving express permission does affect the retention of copyright.

Quote:
Actually the last paragraph doesn't appear to be talking about learning at all. It talks about teaching and how someone could use the design to teach. It wouldn't address selling because it does not appear that is what the paragraph is about to begin with.
It spoke of that, yes, and by teaching the product it addresses the use of the replication of the design. Sorry but - how is that not clear? It also discusses limitations of use of the reproduction. So, it seems pertinent imho.

Quote:
Actually, some of what you quoted covered some parts of it but other parts you quoted were clearly not even about what we are discussing.
I quoted the section of the copyright protection for design and a segment on fair use. Since we were discussing design and teaching of designs, it all seemed pretty pertinent to me. Sorry if you didn't find it as relevant. Perhaps others may? Perhaps not... in any case, it's the text of the US government with relation to the topic, as closely linked as I could find.