View Single Post
Old 2008-12-28, 9:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondanse View Post
There is consensus on 5B?
Hi Lauren, I thought there was because of the following quotes:

Original patterns, tutorials, diagrams and writing are covered under copyright law, which gives bead workers the right to control the selling, displaying, distributing and even derivatives of their original work.

While assignments and licenses may be of most interest to free-lance artists and authors who are not dealing with a company on a take-it-or-leave-it basis, even entrepreneurs may have occasion to consider licensing others the right to reproduce a particular item.

§ 1308. Exclusive rights (US Copyright law)
The owner of a design protected under this chapter has the exclusive right to —
(1) make, have made, or import, for sale or for use in trade, any useful article embodying that design; and
(2) sell or distribute for sale or for use in trade any useful article embodying that design.

As used in this section, an “infringing article” is any article the design of which has been copied from a design protected under this chapter, without the consent of the owner of the protected design.

"Copyright law does not restrict the owner of a copy from reselling legitimately obtained copies of copyrighted works, provided that those copies were originally produced by or with the permission of the copyright holder." ( I put the underlining in this quote)

Do you have reason to believe that copyright does not exist because a step-by-step article or tutorial or book is written? As far as I know every tutorial writer so far has relinguished copyright protection for the bead or beads pictured in their tutorials, however retained the copyright protection for the tutorial itself. All 5B is saying is unless it is specifically relinguished the author retains the protection of copyright.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.