View Single Post
Old 2009-02-25, 9:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damselfly View Post
Personally, I would never sell anything I planned to keep (hell, I don't plan on selling any tut I've bought), but I can see your point, Lydia.

But if it's a use thing, like new vs. scratch and dent, then what about the presses I have that have only been used a dozen times, yet are in pristine condition? I would still have to sell those at a loss, or else there's no incentive to buy them from me.

I would hope that no one who buys a tutorial would have to sell them just for the money. They're not that expensive, so hopefully if you bought it, you have it to spend.

I doubt this is going to be a huge trend. Too many people would rather buy from the artist directly anyways.
I see what you're saying, but most presses hold their value really well unless they are an extremely unpopular style so you'd likely be able to get back at least 70% of your investment. When we sell used tangible items, we always do so at somewhat of loss, especially if that used item isn't something that other people want. Another point is that if you sell a press, you no longer have it. It's gone. Tutorials on the other hand can be claimed as gone, but there's no proof that someone actually deleted their copy. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that anyone responding in this thread would be dishonest, I'm just saying that there is no way to prove that the original file was actually deleted. That is why I think that digital media is different from things that are made of plant, animal or mineral.

I've had people email me about wanting to sell their tutorial because they couldn't afford the glass or they felt that it was above their skill level. I'm fine with that. They respected my intellectual property enough to ask me that and I was grateful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.