View Single Post
Old 2008-06-05, 10:33pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios View Post
Here is the problem with these numbers. With out an unbiased performance model we're comparing Apples to Oranges. Example, take a Phantom, Knight Bullet and the Hellcat. These torches would be in the same class. Just by looking at the numbers one can not gleam any information with out knowing what was produced at the other end of the torch.

That is why we need to know what BTU's are being produced with the CFH.

In order to get an accurate test the temperature of the flames must be measured first ( Accurately ). So that a standard for each class of torches can be determined. Then with all of the torches ( within their class ) set so their reproducing the same temp or BTU's the flow of fuel could be measured accurately. Giving a real table to compare torches. After that one could find the maximum useable flame for each torch.

I'm not dismissing Kimberly hard work. I'm just saying these numbers are just one part of the equation. The other part needed would be the temperature of the flame itself. That way we're comparing Apples to Apples.

Just a thought
Scott
You're right, and this is just the first step, Scott.

The numbers posted are still useful for someone wanting to know oxygen consumption, for instance, in order to help select a concentrator/generator. I hope to eventually replace the pass-through numbers with rates of consumption while running the largest usable flame, but at least they serve as some sort of upper limit in the mean time.

The numbers reflecting the maximum usable flame can be useful when comparing two torches thought to be in the same size class for fuel and oxygen efficiency. For example, you would think that a Minor and a Mini CC would have similar oxygen/fuel usage because they are roughly the same size and have the same number of jets. However, when tested, the Mini CC is shown to use quite a bit more oxygen and fuel. It would indeed be even more helpful to include a flame to flame comparison of the two torches, since if one is producing a larger usable flame, then you perhaps that could be why the consumption rates are higher. I have made such a comparison for the Mini CC, the Minor, and the Bobcat that includes such things as flame size and oxygen/fuel consumptions. Anyway, there are so many variables to it all and so much to be tested. I could not put everything in this thread. I plan to do it one step at a time, if possible.