View Single Post
Old 2010-12-22, 11:09pm
Retired to the flame

I don't think you would be able to get the quartz hot enough with a hot head. It took about 5 min if my pre-mix flame to get a 7mm quartz rod hot enough to put a small dent on the end. No one sells a pre-dented rod. For use in a hot head, i would think that a piece of boro rod would work just fine.
The dent on the end of the rod makes it easier to keep the little ball of silver from falling off in the flame. Once the silver starts to warm up, it will sometimes try to "move" around the rod. Or fall off. Once you have fumed with the rod a few times there will be a deposit of silver on the end of the rod that will hold on to the silver just fine. The dent just helps hold the little ball for the first few times.
You don't have to have a special rod to be able to fume. You can use any rod to hold the silver. If you take the color that takes the longest time to melt in your flame, it will work enough to find out what fuming is all about. When you start fuming on a regular basis or for longer amounts of time, then you need a rod that does not melt well in your flame.

Last edited by firefreak; 2011-01-05 at 11:35pm. Reason: typo